Wednesday, August 29, 2007

More details on the apartment: the balcony is a tiny thing, but you can see the CN Tower looming in the distance, which is invariably cool. All of the balcony railings on the east side of the building are painted either red, yellow, or in my cousin's case, blue and make the wall look like a playworld from the street. Little kids who walk by must comment on how they want to live here when they grow up, in the building with the brightly coloured windows. The main entrance looks very condo-ish and oddly shaped.

I went to the adjacent wholesale grocery store today and resisted the urge to buy a box of chocolate bars for twenty dollars. I did, however, purchase ingredients for my first culinary "creation": Tomato-Basil Pasta, which I pretty much ruined by putting in far too much basil and undercooking the noodles a little. Jason seemed to like it, though. He put in dibs on the leftovers. I will not let this defeat discourage me.

I spent a great portion of the day looking up schedule information for classes (they'll be falling on Monday, Tuesday and Friday) and found out that my classes don't start until the 10th. I completed my Fall term schedule, filling in the one gap I had with African-Canadian Literature, which is being taught by George Elliot Clarke (!). To have both Clarke and Linda Hutcheon as professors in the same semester is... intimidating, but exciting. I also spent time looking at transit maps and pondering how I'll be getting to certain locations over the next few days. It's going to be a lot easier once I start thinking of the city in terms of north, south, east, and west. Tomorrow I'll be meeting Andrea at the downtown bus terminal; she's going to spend some time with me here before she heads off to Germany for the year.

Other than that, I've been watching episodes of The Office on Jay's computer, and downloading episodes of Flight of the Conchords to keep me smiling.

1 comment:

Asha_lee689 said...

It's weird to hear you describe Toronto, David. I have a lot of friends in that city, and made many a trip there over the past few years. To picture you - sitting in an apartment in Toronto or riding the subway... is so odd. You represent a huge chuck of Ottawa for me, and it's like two very different worlds, and social networks are combining. Weird. ps. I'll keep you posted, I'm making a trip to the muthafuckin t-dot the third weekend in sept to party with some belizean peeps. Holla back!