Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I taped an interview with Linda Hutcheon yesterday on the subjects of Canadian literature and interdiscursive approaches to academia, and it went fine, but I didn't turn off the recorder properly and ended up recording about 7 hours of my day with it running in my shirt pocket. It can't be that interesting. After the interview I went to Robarts and watched Spike Lee's Bamboozled with a pair of headphones on (a bizarre movie - I admire Spike Lee but his style is really all over the place and I'm not sure he's all that convincing in what he's trying to say). So I'm sure that the file is comprised of a lot of muffled library noise coupled with occasional chuckles.

After discovering that I had already finished my readings, I went to see Starting Out in the Evening at the Bloor Cinema, which I had been looking forward to seeing for weeks. Overall, pretty good with a few moments of greatness. Coincidentally, Lauran Ambrose plays a grad student writing an MA thesis on a writer she idolizes. She spends most of the movie looking like a deer caught in headlights.

After the film I walked home from Keele station and spent the rest of the night not doing much of anything. I finished City of Glass and I'm about halfway through the first Souvenir of Canada book. There's a passage in City of Glass taken from Polaroids from the Dead (one of the few Coupland books I haven't read) about the Lions Gate Bridge that is amazing stuff. I'm going to have to pick that one up.

No comments: