Sunday, September 23, 2007

I got out of bed early today and took care of a lot of the supplementary materials for the grant, but I'm going to need new ink cartridges for my printer before I can print them out. Everything with colour has a red tinge to it.

I've had Orson Welles on the brain all day today as I prepare for my class facilitation. Four readings and a viewing of The Battle Over Citizen Kane later and I'm still struck by how different Welles' career as an auteur could have been. His treatment was one of Hollywood's greatest mistakes. It's not that I feel sorry for him as a person (the documentary certainly invites its audience to pity him), simply that I look at the young Orson at his most dynamic and see a kid who doesn't give a fuck about anything but movies and wish he'd been given more of a go by people who felt the same way.

Tomorrow I should head in early before Opera to check out an older cut of Touch of Evil on short term loan at the library. Spending two hours hunched over a monitor in a library sure sounds comfortable.

I was offered a deal on a MacBook tonight, but I'm starting to divide my purchases into need/don't really need piles. I'd really like to have a somewhat solid financial base when I return to Ottawa, just to get me started on my own, buy some furniture or what have you. I'm becoming more and more attracted to the idea of finally having my own space and decking it out as best I can.

Also watched Blonde Venus with Marlene Dietrich and Cary Grant. The film was great, and Marlene's a looker, but based on that picture I'm of the humble opinion that she couldn't carry a tune for the life of her.

No comments: