Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I fell in love tonight. Andrea's going to have to share me with opera.

I caught the first performance of The Marriage of Figaro at the Four Seasons Centre, a beautiful facility with five levels in its main hall:



I was up on the fifth level, and the seats were still pretty damn good. Seeing the opera live drove my appreciation for it up about ten times. Not only was it exciting to watch, but the whole thing was subtitled on a marquis above the stage. It sunk in tonight that opera is a real live big deal. I sat and listened to an orchestra play Mozart for close to three hours, and watched a cast of characters sing in Italian about love and betrayal in fashions both heartrending and incredibly humorous. I feel enlightened and privileged to have experienced it. And I'll be watching another in about two weeks!

It's been a long day, but a sugar-rich coffee after my second class helped get me through (I was pretty dead by that point). Tomorrow: passport shyte and The Hives! Then maybe I'll take a breather.

No comments: