Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I hung out with Ren tonight. It was good to see him, since I haven't seen anyone from Ottawa in going on two months. He's in town working for Henry's and they've outfitted him with a hotel room and such. He's going to be moving to Toronto in a couple of weeks to take advantage of a more corporate full-time position with the company. We had a chat over pub food at a place called Hemingway's near the campus and then went to check out The Darjeeling Limited, which I really enjoyed. Wes Anderson and Jason Schwartzman are delivering a Q&A at the same theatre on Wednesday, so I bought a ticket. I still can't get over how many opportunities Toronto gives to see famous people in person.

I enjoy walking downtown. The buildings are enormous, often tiered to multiple businesses and restaurants, and the streets are always busy with people. It's hard to not feel connected with everything when so much is going on around you. I wish I lived a bit closer, but it's probably for the best as far as studying is concerned. I can't forget that I'm on a mission with the time I'm given here.

I'm caught up on my readings for tomorrow. I have a four hour break that I'd like to use to take some pictures. Ren and I talked about the value of keeping records; he's far more hesitant than I am to do so. I suppose I like the idea that images and words have the opportunity to be left in my wake. Indications of how I felt about the world, where I experienced it, what struck me as important. You can't take them with you, but you can keep them until it's time to go, and pass them on as a testament that you were alive and realized it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please tell me I can still buy a ticket to this!